Monday, October 25, 2010

Frank Oz - Star Wars, "Yoda"

Frank Oz - Yoda

Portrait, 8 1/2 x 11 in
Lead on Paper

Who doesn't love Yoda?  This is one of those pieces where everything just fell into place.  I had done a much smaller version of this drawing in graphite for a CD cover a while back and really liked the layout and composition, so I decided to do a full size portrait based on the earlier, rougher version.  I was out in the blistering sun at a show and sold one print in the twelve hours we spent sitting there.  I did, however manage to get this piece done and am rather proud of it.  You can almost sense the hand of master puppeteer Frank Oz beneath the amazingly articulate and lifelike puppet, and yet he has such a distinct personality all his own.  At least that's some of what I attempted to convey with this piece, as Star Wars has been a continuing source of inspiration and intrigue all my life.  I get the feeling that if you like Yoda half as much as I do you'll have to jump all over this print!

No comments:

Post a Comment