Thursday, October 28, 2010

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight: The Joker, "Face"


Portrait, 8 1/2 x 11 in
Charcoal, Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel on Paper

After completing the Jack Nicholson 1989 "Splash" picture I knew I had to do a Heath Ledger companion to the piece.  I re-watched The Dark Knight and decided that this had to be my first color piece.  I went with a mixed medium approach, blending charcoal, soft and oil pastels to achieve the finished product.  It wasn't easy - the minimalistic approach to color was a fun thing to play with in this piece but it really made me want to do one with his bright green hair.  I'm really happy with the finished product in this case though, Ledger's sardonic eyes peering out from the shadows and that demonic smile perfectly silhouetted.  I can't wait to start getting prints of this one done, they are going to look just amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment