Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jack White: The White Stripes, "GBMS"

Jack White, "GBMS"

Portrait, 8 1/2 x 11 in
Lead on Paper

The White Stripes took the music industry by storm, were all over the radio and had become the toast of the town - but I had no idea of any of this.  I live under a rock and listening to top 40 radio shows, ick!  So when a buddy stuck on Death Letter for me,  I had to hear the rest of DeStijl - I was in love.  It was a delightful blend of dissonant chords and screeching harmonic chatter from Jack White, mirrored by the childlike drum beats slipping from in inexperienced hands of Meg White.  It had been far too long since I'd heard some good old fashioned garage rock, and Jack helped me remember why I missed it so much.  Even while he was in The Stripes it seemed like he was inventing a new persona for himself periodically.  Whether it was for the new tour or the new album, and he's fronted several different bands since then - all with their own nuances.  This is Jack at the height of The Stripes era from the Get Behind Me Satan tour and album.  It is a section of my life that will remain vivid for the rest of my days, and this picture helps me recall them.  It can help you if you need a little help as well, like Jack said after all, "I can tell we are going to be friends..."

No comments:

Post a Comment