Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Julie Newmar, "Tasteful"

Julie Newmar - Tasteful
Portrait, 8.5 x 11 in.
Lead on Paper

Julie Newmar went on to world fame as an actress, most notably in her role as Catwoman on the 1960's camp version of Batman, she always wanted to be a comedian after all.  In the 30's though she made her living as a pin-up model.  She never did anything extremely racy in my opinion, but she did do some really nice tasteful pin-up work that I consider to be classic Americana along side the likes of Bettie Page and Marilyn Monroe.  I think I captured the essence of that very well here in this piece which is a companion to the earlier Catwoman, #1 piece that I did portraying her more as she always wanted to be seen - a jovial comedian, rather than a sexy cover girl - in my mind and on your wall though she can be both!

No comments:

Post a Comment